7.18.2008

Beach mosaics



We've been doing a lot of traveling lately (thus the slow posting) and enjoying many beaches here and abroad. Not one to sit idle (even on vacation) I spend my beach days creating mosaics from the natural detritus of the sea.



This first unfinished piece was begun on the beach in Falconara, Italy.



From there we moved (mid-mosaic) to the gorgeous Portonovo, a beach nestled by forested mountains. It's a rock beach, which changed the plan and we went with a bullseye-like exploration of the different stone colors.



Perhaps the most successful project of the Italy trip was our second project back in Falconara. Marisa & I built a little cityscape. My favorites were the barnacle-covered shells.



Lately, Jacob and I were up in Maine (Wells). The sand was hard and only stones to be found. But they were delightful "chips" of flattened stones. This spiral (inspired by the many snails on the beach) was soon washed away by the tide.

I wonder if anyone else "discovered" the other mosaics?

2 comments:

Sew Bettie said...

I love the beaches in Italy. Your creations are great.

Shelley Barandes said...

Thanks so much! They were fun to make.