11.02.2011

Greetings from 2012 - Chicago


Chicago has an amazing skyline, which I loved designing into a save the date card a few years back.


I knew for the calendar I wanted to do something with skyline in this birthplace of the skyscraper, but the sheer breadth didn't quite work for the vertical calendar format. 

Then I remembered "The Bean." Properly titled The Cloud Gate, this sculpture by Anish Kapoor in Millenium Park has become a landmark and tourist destination for Chicago.


I love that it so neatly captures the downtown skyline in its curved, distorted reflection.


The steel gray ink that I chose for Chicago was the first one I printed, and definitely helped define the palette for the entire calendar: urban, gritty, a little hard. It made it easy to choose our ribbon, though. Lucky for us, Angela at Carta, Inc. just started carrying her 5mm ribbon in iron gray - how perfect!


The 100% cotton ribbon is a must to pair with the textured 100% cotton paper, for the perfect completion to the finished calendars.


I'm still considering options for a second Chicago sketch to complete our Library volume for next year, but the El running between the looming skycrapers might just be it.


Our 2012 postcard calendar is now for sale in our Etsy shop. We will also it for sale at all of our holiday markets listed in the sidebar.

No comments: