11.19.2011

Greetings from 2012 - Tokyo


I have been itching to go to Tokyo and Japan for years and years. Honestly, I want to go there with an empty suitcase and return with it full of papers, tapes, and other fabulous stationery products. But aside from that, I find it a fascinating, beautiful country and look forward to an anniversary trip with my husband some day.


I slotted Tokyo for April since it's the height of cherry blossom season, a wonderful welcome to deep spring, and included a drape of blossom branches over the city skyline in the sketch.


Though the illustration didn't address it, the traditional and religious architecture of Japan draws you in. I adore the sweeping roof corners and how they seem to embrace the sky.


I even find the lights and busy-ness of the entertainment district captivating and love especially how the natural verticality of Japanese signage creates this amazing tunnel of lights and life (in an entirely different sort of way than the cherry blossoms).


What are some of your favorite places in Tokyo? What about Japan?


Our 2012 postcard calendar is now for sale in our Etsy shop. We will also it for sale at all of our holiday markets and events listed in the sidebar.

No comments: